Last spring my little shrubs did not look very good. With the very cold winter, the heavy snows on top of them,
and the rabbit damage, well, they were pretty beat up.
I like little groups of shrubs, but the problem is that the mower can’t get between them very well as they grow,
and every time the lawn is cut, I find a branch or two broken off. Not that I’m blaming the driver or anything.
The only solution we have found is to group them, and mulch around them.
First we have to kill the grass. (And try not to miss any spots.)
Then we spread some really nice mulch on the bed, and added the birdbath, and some “ruins”.
The shrubs are now safe, and the mower driver is happy. These shrubs did really well this summer with all the rain.
Quite a difference in a few months.
Except for the barberry bush. Something was eating it.
Apparently we have another shivery and shovelry winter coming, so I’ll have to do some wrapping and protecting this fall.